October 11, 2004

It's cold up here

This country (Sweden) is wierd. Last week it was +15 degrees Celsius and today when I left the stable it was -2. Oh, how I long for decent climate like in Nashville or in Minneapolis or in the Hague. But the chill has an envigorating effect - like eating ice cream too quickly. First it hurts, then it hurts more. Then it feels so good that it stopped hurting and you get used to it. That's what it's like when you get into the manege and start jumping at sub-zero temperatures. By the way, horses love cold weather. It's like shifting gears and initiating a turbo you didn't know was installed.

Gabriel, my son, is a new citizen in New York and enjoying his surroundings despite the cockroaches in his cornflakes. What worries him though is the company of exchange students in his school from various un-cool countries in Asia Minor, students who are so enthralled by the sense of capitalistic freedom that they endager the lives of themselves and others by climbing up lamp posts at 2 AM in the company of their fellow students screaming "I love America, ha ha ha" and shadow boxing with big, tall and unfunny strangers on the street, deep in heart of Harlem.

Being un-cool in an American city is not good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly, you gotta stay on top in this city! Especially now that I'm getting... ahem... slightly older, I need to keep my form! See ya.

Politico said...

Minneapolis? I hope you were joking.